Hi all,

This is my 1st post here so I hope I'm doing this right...

After looking on the internet for this subject with no luck, I crossed an email with an well known american veteran CW operator (his name is no secret but I don't know if he wants to mentioned or not) who pointed me out this discussion forum.

Since you're probably all CW veterans, I was hoping that you could help me on this.

So, it's a very simple question: Can any of you tell me how's the "Crowing Rooster" CW QSO ending ?

I've already tryied to replicate a rooster crowing with my paddle, without success. Probably I would need a straight key for that...

I'm new to CW, still gathering info about it, I already know some other usual forms of CW QSO ending, but got curious about this one.

Tks. 73.

Views: 786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Artur,

Welcome to this site, I have found it very interesting over the years and always get a friendly  answer to my questions. To answer your question if you  go to  the live QRQ cw  practice (at the top of this page) and listen to the Chicken Fat operators qso's you will hear them using the cluck at the end of the sessions.

I have listened to them so many times now that I almost know the recodings by heart , I wish I could say the same for the F.O.G guys but they go a lot faster! 73 Rich G4FAD..

Thanks Rich,

Even the C.F.O. speed seem a big jump for me.

I guess for now I'll just cheat, download the files, and listen them at a slower speed on na audio editor.

Maybe I get lucky.

When I came to this forum I never thought I was going to look good, anyway. Hi.

73, Artur

Artur, there are three ways to do the rooster crow. Use a bug and make all the long sounds with the dash side. Use a straight key for all of it, and there was an electronic circuit that someone designed to automatically do the crow sound. Some would move the transmit frequency during the ending long sound so it would warble. It was a traditional end of a QSO for Chicken Fat Operators.

73, Bill

Thank you very much Bill,

Moving the transmit frequency during the ending long sound really explains it all.

I guess I'm going to look for one of those circuits, just in case there is on one still around.

Thanks again.

73, Artur

It was published in the CFO newsletter some time ago and perhaps someone still has a copy around. CFO was a lot of fun back in the 70s and some of the ops were proficient at over 80 WPM. It takes a lot of practice to do that and there are very few stations around now that go that fast. 7.032 MHz had QSK QRQ going every night in the 70s but I guess old age took a lot of ops off the air. 73,  Bill

80 WPM is a very nice figure... I practice 1-2 hours daily and I'm still at 18-20 WPM. But learning the Code is not a short term project, anyway.

I will look for those CFO newsletters, maybe someone did a scan on them and they are available for download somewhere on the web.

In case someone is reading this and has what I'm looking for, I would appreciate a photocopy of that article(s), very much. All expenses on me, of course. You can look for my email at QRZ.COM. Only that email is valid. Someone registered an email address at GMAIL with my Callsign but I can't do anything about that.

Thanky you, Bill. Again. You're a very generous man.

73, Artur

CT1FRC

I have no idea if the circuit mentioned is the one in the March 01, 1982 KeyClucks, but there is a circuit in that one.  I have uploaded a few PDF for some KeyClucks, the 03-01-1982 does have a circuit from Mel, K0PFX.  I will have to test the link below after posting this but think it should work.  There are a few other PDFs in the same location.  I think anyone should be able to download them.  Let me know if there are any problems.   Chuck, W5UXH

CFO Stuff

Chuck,

Thank you very much for your fast reply to my request, for your time and effort, and for the CFO newsletters. I never thought I was going to put my hands on that little circuit so soon.

You've made my day! :-)

73, Artur

RSS

© 2024   Created by Chuck aa0hw.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service